Listed Building record MDR9453 - Rise End Bridge, Middleton Incline, Cromford and High Peak Railway, Middleton and Wirksworth
Type and Period (1)
- BEAM BRIDGE (Georgian to 21st Century - 1825 AD? to 2050 AD)
Rise End Bridge, Middleton Incline, Cromford and High Peak Railway, Middleton and Wirksworth, built c1825. Bridge constructed of two large bridge footings, which are of large limestone blocks. The limestone blocks are dressed on five sides, with the rough side falling outward and are held together with mortar. The bridge footings are spanned by four large cast iron girderst with wooden planks and beams between them. The bridge is approximately 11m wide and 5m high; the tunnel is 6m wide and 9m long. (1-5) From the National Heritage List for England: 'RISE END, MIDDLETON 1. 1839 Railway bridge 225 yds to south-west of cross-roads SK 25 NE 3/113 II 2. Circa 1825. A simple beam bridge of single span which formerly carried the Cromford and High Peak Mineral Line over the road-way. Abuttments of coursed stone subble. the wooden superstructure supported by 3 tapered and flanged cast iron beams made by Butterley at his Ripley iron-works. One of the earliest bridges of the type to have survived. Listing NGR: SK2784455180.' (6)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 109.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 159.
- <3> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. 101.
- <4> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. 23.
- <5> SDR10751 Bibliographic reference: Nixon, F. 1969. The Industrial Archaeology of Derbyshire. 268.
- <6> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1109597?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 27844 55180 (point)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 18 2022 9:18PM