Monument record MDR9454 - Railway bridge, Middleton Incline, Middleton
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Early 20th Century to Unknown - 1930 AD)
- None recorded
Modern bridge, built in 1930. Constructed of mortared irregular limestone blocks. The bridge has large, well-dressed, regular sandstone quoins. There is a wooden door in the SE side with a sandstone lintel. The top, over which the Cromford & High Peak Railway line runs, is reinforced concrete. The new bridge was probably built when the B5035 to Middleton became the main road. The tunnel is approximately 12m wide and 6m deep. (1-5) Former railway bridge with cast iron beams manufactured by the Butterley Company carrying the line of the CHPR across the Middleton-Wirksworth road. (6)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 110.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 160.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <5> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 101.
- <6> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||SK 27817 55181 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 14 2017 4:45PM