Monument record MDR9455 - Signal indicator, Middleton Top; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY SIGNAL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
This is an original signal indicator, but NOT in its original location. The signal was re-erected at Middleton Top, whereas its original position was Middleton Bottom. From Middleton Bottom, a cable led up to Middleton Top to indicate to the engine house that the train was ready to be hauled up the incline. The signal consists of two re-used wooden sleepers, one is upright, the other is at 45 degrees. There is a large metal disc set on the upright sleeper, with a metal wheel, handle and arrow set on the disc. (1-6)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 111.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 162.
- <3> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 13.
- <4> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 47-48.
- <5> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 14, 79-80.
- <6> SDR19348 Bibliographic reference: Nicholson, C P & Barnes, P. 1975. Railways in the Peak District. p/ 17.
|Grid reference||SK 27627 55183 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM