Monument record MDR9467 - Accommodation bridge, Middleton Top & Hopton Tunnel; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- ACCOMMODATION BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Accommodation bridge passing beneath the Cromford & High Peak Railway. It is difficult to distinguish the boundary between the retaining wall and the bridge, as the masonry for the two features is keyed into each other. The bridge tunnel is approximately 3m wide, 10m long and 5m high. The sides of the bridge are constructed of dressed blocks, laid in rough courses, using a mixture of limestone and gritstone blocks. The quoins are predominantly gritstone and the arch is constructed of blue brick.
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 123.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 180-182.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 15.
- <5> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV. 14.
|Grid reference||SK 27331 54997 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM