Monument record MDR9471 - Boundary wall, between Intake Crossing & Hopton Tunnel; Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall of irregular limestone blocks. The map suggests this is the field boundary wall starting at Intake Crossing, but it is only visible from the NGR track above. The wall continues over the top of the cutting for the Hopton Tunnel. After the cutting, it runs back down to follow the track as a boundary wall. At the embankment, (SMR 8365), it becomes a low (<2m high) retaining wall, interrupted by bridges SMR 8362 & 8366. After the embankment ends, the wall returns to track level as a boundary wall, approximately 1m high. It continues as a boundary wall from Hopton Top to Harborough Rocks where it becomes a retaining wall approximately 2.5 - 3m high, reveting parts of the embankment - SMR 30600. There are breaks in the wall for the sites of five level-crossings. Once again it becomes a 1m high retaining wall at embankment - SMR 30603.. The wall passes a siding (SMR 30606) and several stone quarries, whereupon there are breaks in the wall. Later additions to the wall block up the entrance to the siding SMR 30606. Leaving the siding, the wall continues as a boundary wall over a cutting (SMR 30608), then returns to track level. NGR: SK 26879 54830 - SK 22945 55496. (1-9) A section of the boundary wall was demolished in March 2006 in order to create access for a new public footpath and cycleway. Consequently a photographic record was made, consisting of a series of digital images of the wall, in order to provide context and any detail of phasing or rebuilding. The section that was demolished was of drystone construction, with mortared capping stones, all of limestone. It appeared to be original and therefore presumably dates to the construction of the railway. (10)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 127.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 187, 207.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV. 13; XXXIII.12/16.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 2, 47, 80, 87.
- <7> SDR19340 Bibliographic reference: Blakemore, M & Mosley, D. 2003. Railways of the Peak District. p. 50.
- <8> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. 13, 15, 17-19.
- <9> SDR18890 Bibliographic reference: Marshall, J. 1996. The Cromford & High Peak Railway. p. 42, 47, 70, 82.
- <10> SDR19910 Unpublished document: Pallant, G & Brightman, J (ARS). 2006. Ryder Point Brassington, Matlock: Watching Briefand Photographic Recording. SMR Doc. No. 959.
|Grid reference||SK 26832 54827 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BRASSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||CARSINGTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||HOPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 10:09PM