Monument record MDR9474 - Hopton Tunnel, Hopton
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY TUNNEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
NGR: SK 26687 54803 - SK 26575 54771 Long tunnel under the rock outcrop through cutting SMR 28341. The archway and retaining walls at the tunnel entrances are constructed of large, mortared, regular gritstone blocks, they are carefully dressed and bear toolmarks. At the eastern end of the tunnel, on the south side, there is a buttress on top of the retaining wall against the rock face. On the north side, the rock face abutts the bridge. Above the arch the gritstone blocks are smaller and irregular. There are two rows of gritstone lintels, one at the top and one in the middle of the smaller gritstone blocks. The tunnel is approximately 7m wide. Inside there are newer looking, very finely dressed and tooled gritstone blocks next to the beginning of a wood and iron shoring. The iron is very rusty and appears to have been in situ for a length of time. The shoring has fallen out in a small section, exposing the bare rock face. There is an iron fitting on the south side, at the west end of the tunnel. The shoring continues for approximately half the tunnels length. There are no buttresses on the west end, and the rock face abutts the tunnel sides. (1) Western entrance to Hopton Tunnel on the line of the former CHPR. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 130.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 188-190.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV.13.
- <5> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <6> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 20-21.
- <7> SDR19345 Article in serial: Marshall, J. 1981. 'High Peak Sesquicentenary, part one,' Railway Magazine. July edition, pp 322-325. p. 1, 31..
- <8> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||SK 26629 54779 (point)|
|Civil Parish||HOPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM