Monument record MDR9475 - Engine house (site of), Hopton Tunnel & Hopton Incline, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (3)
- ENGINE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- MACHINERY (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Remains of a boiler and engine base, used for hauling on the Hopton Wood Quarry Branch Line. The remains of a large locomotive boiler and engine base. There are large iron plates, riveted together, with some sections missing. It is rectangular and approximately 2m high and 10m long, and very rusted. (1) An engine house is named on the 1st edition 25" map and is shown, but not named, on the 2nd ed. (3, 4) Excavations close to the remains of the boiler and engine base were carried out as part of a watching brief in March 2006 in an area of raised ground that had been presumed to represent ash and other waste materials associated with the boiler. Although there was evidence of ash piles, deturfing revealed the remains of low walls and flagged flooring. These were suggestive of a rectangular structure of reasonably substantial construction. Their alignment with the boiler and with the dog-leg in the adjacent wall suggests that they represent the remains of a small building such as an engine house, or the footings for a large engine or portion of an engine. (5)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 131.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 193.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIV.13.
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIV.13, 1899.
- <5> SDR19910 Unpublished document: Pallant, G & Brightman, J (ARS). 2006. Ryder Point Brassington, Matlock: Watching Briefand Photographic Recording. SMR Doc. No. 959.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 26271 54662 (16m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||HOPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 10:09PM