Building record MDR9483 - Railway workers cottage, Hopton Top, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (1)
- RAILWAY WORKERS COTTAGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Rectangular cottage. The south elevation has one door and four lower windows, the three upper windows have their original cast iron frames. The cottage has a pitched slate roof and two chimneys. There is a smaller extension with a single-pitched roof. The cottage is constructed of regular gritstone blocks, carefully dressed and tooled. There are gritstone lintels around the windows and door. A stone cottage built for the man who operated an inclined plane on the Comford and High Peak Railway. (8)
- --- SDR24769 Unpublished document: Tilt, C (ARS Ltd). 2020. Archaeological Watching Brief at Hopton Cottage, Near Brassington.
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 139.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 203.
- <3> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV. 13.
- <5> SDR19341 Bibliographic reference: Coleford, I C. 1996. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 23.
- <6> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 13, 15.
- <7> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 101.
- <8> SDR24714 Unpublished document: Grange, E (ARS). 2019. Hopton Cottage, Manystones Lane, Near Brassinton: Heritage Impact Assessment.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 25290 54655 (10m by 6m)|
|Civil Parish||HOPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 17 2021 8:51AM