Monument record MDR9486 - Incline engine house & pond, Hopton Top, Cromford & High Peak Railway
Type and Period (2)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Site of engine house and pond. The engine house was dismantled when the incline gradient was lowered, so that locomotives could travel up withouth the aid of chains and engine power. There also used to be a short section of track leading to the engine house. The area is now overgrown with trees. (1)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 141.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. 204.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV. 13.
- <4> SDR19349 Bibliographic reference: Rimmer, A. 1998. The Cromford and High Peak Railway. p. 38, 47.
- <5> SDR19344 Bibliographic reference: Jones, N & Bentley, M. 2000. 'Onwards to Cromford and High Peak Junction', Scenes from the Past, 37. p. 16.
- <6> SDR19348 Bibliographic reference: Nicholson, C P & Barnes, P. 1975. Railways in the Peak District. p. 17.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 25339 54656 (71m by 25m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HOPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 9 2015 2:01PM