Monument record MDR9546 - South Boundary and Retaining Wall, Stodhart Tunnel to Old Chinley Road Crossing, Peak Forest Tramway, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (3)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Georgian to 21st Century - 1795 AD to 2050 AD)
- REVETMENT (Georgian to 21st Century - 1795 AD to 2050 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall, constructed of irregular gritstone blocks. Wall stands approximately 1.1m high at its start. NGR: SK 04947 81393 - SK 06118 81327 (1) Transitional freestanding field wall from deep cutting of Stodhart Tunnel to north, becoming increasingly a retaining wall for Peak Forest Tramway embankment as it approached Black Brook Viaduct, then resuming as a boundary wall towards Old Chinley Road Crossing. Constructed 1795; widened 1803. Some rebuilding c.1985 during construction of A6. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 22.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. pp 45-46.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). IX.9.
- <7> SDR19368 Map: OS. 2002. OS Explorer OL1 (2002).
- <8> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 22a, 22b. 22c.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 06002 81406 (248m by 165m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:47PM