Monument record MDR9547 - North Boundary and Retaining Wall, Stodhart Tunnel to Old Chinley Road Crossing, Peak Forest Tramway, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (3)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Georgian to Victorian - 1803 AD to 1900 AD)
- REVETMENT (Georgian to Victorian - 1803 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall, constructed of irregular gritstone blocks, approximately one metre high. The road begins after the road, which leads from the A624 to the A6. The wall is overgrown with vegetation and large trees. NGR: SK 05958 81391 - SK 05970 81370. (1) Transitional freestanding field wall from deep cutting of Stodhart Tunnel to north, becoming increasingly a retaining wall for Peak Forest Tramway embankment as it approached Black Brook Viaduct, then resuming as a boundary wall towards Old Chinley Road Crossing. Constructed during widening of 1803. Sections missing, an further truncated c.1985 during construction of A6. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature no. 23.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. p 45.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). IX.9.
- <7> SDR19368 Map: OS. 2002. OS Explorer OL1 (2002).
- <8> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 23a, 23b, 23c, 23c2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 05980 81362 (197m by 157m)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:47PM