Monument record MDR9551 - Southern Boundary Wall, Old Chinley Crossing to DCC Depot at Sheffield Road, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (3)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- REVETMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD? to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall, constructed of irregular gritstone blocks, standing approximately 0.7m at its start. Also acts as a slight retaining wall for a drop of approximately 1.8m. (1). NGR: SK 06136 81321 - SK 06343 81019. Southern boundary wall from Old Chinley Road crossing southeastwards to DCC Depot north of Sheffield Road. Most dates originally from about 1795, though some is now missing and some rebuilt. Freestanding wall in some places; retaining wall in others. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 25.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. p 48.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). IX.9.
- <7> SDR19368 Map: OS. 2002. OS Explorer OL1 (2002).
- <8> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 25a, 25b, 25c, 25d, 25d1-2, 25e,.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 06280 81193 (291m by 339m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:49PM