Monument record MDR9558 - Boundary and Retaining Wall,Top o' th' Plane, Peak Forest Tramway, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
- REVETMENT (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall, constructed of irregular gritstone blocks, approximately one metre high. The wall was rebuilt at its start point as it is a boundary wall to a private garden. The wall turns into a small retaining wall when the incline goes through a tiny cutting, and then a small retaining wall when the incline becomes a small embankment on either side. The wall becomes a large retaining wall at Top-o-the-Plane, approximately five metres high and constructed of large, irregular gritstone blocks. After Top-o-the-Plane, the wall again becomes a boundary wall and finishes in a very badly tumbled condition. NGR: SK 06642 80659 - SK 07225 79828. (1) Drystone retaining wall and freestanding boundary wall, supporting and demarcating the inclined plane and level area for Top o' Th' Plane complex. Probably constructed 1795 to 1796, with a boundary constructed at the southern end post-closure. (9)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 31.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. p 59, 62-64.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). IX. 13.
- <7> SDR19368 Map: OS. 2002. OS Explorer OL1 (2002).
- <8> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <9> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 31a-c, 31c1-2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 06887 80320 (696m by 1076m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:52PM