Monument record MDR9559 - Boundary and Retaining Wall, Chapel-en-le-Frith Incline, Peak Forest Tramway, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (2)
- REVETMENT (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- None recorded
Retaining wall forming the west side of embankment, SMR 29921. The wall is of drystone construction using irregular, flat gritstone blocks. The wall retains a drop of approximately one to two metres. NGR: SK 06638 80650 - SK 06779 80374. (1) Line of former drystone retaining and boundary wall, running up from the foot of the west boundary of the Chapel 'plane'. Built as a double line of rails from the start in 1795 to 1796, as the incline was self-acting. Lower part of incline built over by Chapel's housing. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 32.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. p 58, 62, 64.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). IX. 13.
- <7> SDR19368 Map: OS. 2002. OS Explorer OL1 (2002).
- <8> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 32a, 32b.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 06737 80452 (143m by 280m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:52PM