Monument record MDR9566 - Boundary and Retaining Wall, Barmoor Clough Tunnel to Hallsteads, Peak Forest Tramway
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- REVETMENT (Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1795 AD to 1925 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall squeezed between the A6 and the railway main line. Constructed of irregular gritstone blocks, approximately 0.5m high. The wall is very overgrown with vegetation and in a tumbled down state. As the A6 moves away from the Peak Forest Tramway, and the railway goes through the Barmoor Clough Tunnel, the wall is better preserved, although the trackbed is very overgrown. NGR: SK 07445 79530 - SK 07810 78890 (1) Northerly and easterly boundary of Peak Forest Tramway from Barmoor Clough to Hallsteads, a retaining wall for part of its length. Originally built 1795/6, but some stretches moved in the 1860s as the construction of the Buxton railway necessitated a northerly shift of the Peak Forest Tramway trackbed. Parts are now obliterated or rebuilt. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 39.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. pp 69-70, 73-75, 83.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire IX.13/14; XV.2.
- <7> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <8> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 39a, 39b1, 39c, 39c1, 39d-e, 39e1, 39f.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 07524 79340 (556m by 883m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:53PM