Monument record MDR9576 - Western boundary wall, Peak Forest Tramway, Dove Holes Dale, Chapel-en-le-Frith
Type and Period (2)
- BOUNDARY WALL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Drystone boundary wall, constructed of irregular limestone blocks, standing approximately 0.70m at its start. The wall branches off from the main Peak Forest Tramway track to form the western boundary of siding SMR 29939. NGR: SK 07980 78528 - SK 07990 78338. (1) Western trackbed boundary in Dove Holes Dale, demarcating Peak Forest Tramway trackbed from quarries. There is a free-standing wall of two distinct sections running south, and a short cross wall which veers westwards. The walls were built by 1847, but have been rebuilt in places. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 49.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. p 84, 88.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XV.2.
- <7> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <8> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature Nos 49, 49a.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 07973 78425 (34m by 189m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CHAPEL EN LE FRITH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:56PM