Monument record MDR9580 - Trackbed, Dove Holes Dale, Peak Forest Tramway, Wormhill
Type and Period (2)
- RAILWAY TRACKBED (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD? to 1900 AD?)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1795 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Trackbed of the Peak Forest Tramway and the many sidings which linked the track to the quarries in the area. This was also the location of the end of the Peak Forest Tramway. All evidence for the Peak Forest Tramway has now been lost as the area is still an active quarry. The massive workings, tipping and landscaping has removed all visible signs of the tramway although there may be some remains surviving under quarry tips. (1) The extremity of the Dove Holes Dale branch of the Peak Forest Tramway is determinable only by extrapolating the existing trackbed section west of the Holderness Quarry entrance, across an informal layby-cum-turning point, thence down the south side of Dale Road. There is a short section of modern walling, north of the road at the lay-by, built on concrete foundation slab and presumed to be the alignment of the former level crossing. The remainder has been lost to quarry landscaping. The trackbed probably dates from the early 1800s. (8)
- <1> SDR19352 Archive: Jessop, O. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey. ARCUS 738b. Feature number: 53.
- <2> SDR19353 Photograph: ARCUS. 2003. Cromford & High Peak Railway and Peak Forest Tramway Survey, Project 738b. Digital photograph. none.
- <3> SDR19379 Bibliographic reference: Lamb, B. 1968. 'The canal, Bugsworth complex and tramway: a discourse in maps', The Peak Forest Canal and Tramway.
- <4> SDR19378 Unpublished document: Findlow, A (Inland Waterways Preservation Society). 2001. An Assessment of the Archaeological and Historical Significance of Bugsworth Basin.
- <5> SDR19350 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2003. OS Landline (2003) from EDINA Digimap. 1:2000.
- <6> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XV.2 / 6.
- <7`> SDR19351 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 2002. OS Explorer 0L24 (2002).
- <8> SDR19632 Unpublished document: Duckworth, S, Jessop, O and A Badcock (ARCUS). 2006. Conservation Management Plan, Peak Forest Tramway, Derbyshire. Feature No. 53a.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 08343 77692 (523m by 607m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 7 2020 4:58PM