Cranfleet lock was constructed in 1797 as part of the improvements to the Trent Navigation in the 1790s, accompanied by a weir on the Trent just below the Soar entrance (SMR 22599). Their construction greatly improved movement of boats across the Trent when travelling from the Erewash collieries, across the Trent and up the Loughborough Navigation. The lock was deepened in the late 19th century, as part of improvements made following the appointment of a new engineer in 1896. (1)
The original lockhouse is now a boat club and a new lockhouse has been built nearby. (2)
The lock chamber and gates are Grade II listed. They are of ashlar, partly rebuilt in engineering brick, with metal and wooden gates. The lock chamber is wide with a drop of about 15 feet between levels. (3)
Otherwise known as the Cranfleet Cut. Brick-built, segmental arch occupation bridge is nearby (SK 496313): could be associated. (4)
Bibliographic reference: Hadfield, C. 1970. The Canals of the East Midlands, 2nd ed.. p 35, 75, 76, 202.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1986. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part II - Borough of Erewash. p 34.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 8/5031/047.
Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2005. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology: Gazetteer of Sites, Part II, Borough of Erewash (second edition). p. 34.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 50184 31576 (point) (Approximate)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2014 2:11PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.