Building record MDR962 - Biggin Hall, Hartington Nether Quarter
Type and Period (3)
- HOUSE (Former Type) (Stuart to Victorian - 1642 AD to 1900 AD)
- GUEST HOUSE (Victorian to 21st Century - 1900 AD? to 2050 AD)
- FARMHOUSE (Former Type) (Stuart to Victorian - 1642 AD to 1900 AD)
(SK 15175956) Biggin Hall. (1) Biggin Hall is a good example of a 17th century Yeoman's house which is said to belong to the second half of the century but might well be of around 1600. (2) A small house in almost original condition. The tenant stated that a 1672 datestone above the fireplace has been recently covered in. (3) Biggin Hall, Grade II* listed, Biggin (north side). Two storey, plus attics house which is now a guest house. It is dated c.1642, was altered in the 19th century and was restored in 1980's. It is constructed of coursed limestone rubble with gritstone dressings and large quoins and has a slate roof with a stone ridge. (4) Biggin Hall is dated 1642 on a stone inside. It has mullioned windows with arched tops. (6)
- <1> SDR12080 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1955. 6".
- <2> SDR9039 Unpublished document: Ministry of Housing and Local Government (MHLG). 1961. Ministry of Housing and Local Government: 1884/11/A.
- <3> SDR6302 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 08-JUL-66.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <5> SDR9726 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index: 1112. 1112.
- <6> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p90.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1516 5956 (22m by 32m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON NETHER QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 4 2015 2:48PM