Monument record MDR9621 - Hartshay Wharf to collieries Tramway, Pentrich
Type and Period (1)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Unknown - 1805 AD)
- None recorded
At the east side of Broadoak Plantation, on the border of two parishes, stands a substatntial embankment about 100 yards long. The embankment runs on the line of an early 19th century tramroad which ran from the Cromford Canal at Hartshay Wharf to two collieries, (Highfield & Oakerthorpe) north of Pentrich. The tramway was built between 1805 and 1834. (1) Baxter describes the route of the Pentrich tramway; 'At Hartshay Hill, north east then north to old pit near Broadoak. North to Oakerthorpe pit (Longcroft). Opened 1817. Traffic, coal.' (2) At the eastern end of Broadoak Plantation on the border of the two parishes stands a substantial embankment about 100 yards in length on the line of an early 19th century tramroad which ran from the Cromford Canal at Hartshay Wharf to small collieries north of Pentrich in the vicinity of Long Croft Farm. The railway was built between 1805 and 1834 and the setion was abandoned between 1834 and 1837. The course of the line on the embankment and elsewhere survives as a farm track and may be traced despite the complete absence of any physical remains of either rails or sleeper blocks. The embankment height is about 10 feet on its western side. (3)
- <1> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. tramway, Pentrich.
- <2> SDR3182 Bibliographic reference: Baxter, B. 1966. Stone Blocks and Iron Rails.
- <3> SDR4533 Article in serial: Fowkes, D & Riden, P. 1972. 'The Ripley-Swanwick-Alfreton Bypass (A61)', Derbyshire Miscellany. Vol. 6 (4), pp 125-129.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 39182 52517 (991m by 2146m)|
|Civil Parish||PENTRICH, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 9 2015 12:29PM