Monument record MDR9628 - Windmill Base, Wyver Lane, Belper

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

On the east side of Wyver Lane, approximately 700m from Bridge Foot, there is a sandstone structure rising approximately 2m from field to road level. It is believed to have been constructed as part of a windmill. Only the base remains, as presumably the top structure would have been mainly of timber. It would appear its purpose was to pump water to the south for use in Belper, probably by powering a water suction pump within the building. The height of the structure would have provided a 'head' to enable the water to gravity feed down the supply culvert. In view of the Strutt family's efforts to obtain water from the springs in this part of the valley, it is most likely they were responsible for its construction. It is not known when it went out of use, but it may have been some time between 1897 and 1937. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Gibson, S. 2004. Research on the windmill base, Wyver Lane, Belper.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3478 4886 (7m by 8m)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.