A pair of managers' houses, known as Forge House. In 1972 the building was in a very poor state; the roof had gone, one of the staircases had gone (from the southernmost house), together with most of the floors. The houses were of brick with 1' external and 4" internal walls. The most prominent feature was a fine freestone surround to each front (ie west) door, with a pair of columns and heavy lintel. The front windows had plain freestone lintels and sills, flush with the wall in the case of the lintel, slightly projecting in the case of the sills. Each house had a string of small brick outhouses in decaying condition. The original accommodation in the house was approximately 1400 sq ft (130.06 sq metres), with four principal rooms on each floor. The openings on the back were plain with brick arches over and plain sills. The windows on the ground floor of the southern side of the southern house had been altered and two more added; all the fireplaces had been modernised and most had been ripped out. Some of the ground floors had gone. All the glass had gone from the windows, usually along with the frames, and the doors had been similarly stripped of most woodwork. The bannister had gone from the survivng staircase. Beneath the main staircase there was a flight of smaller steps descending to the cellars. There were no attics. The chimneys were of brick, with one at each end of the building and another in the party wall. The houses are marked on the first edition of the OS and must have been built before 1847, since no-one would have built such an impressive western front to overlook a railway with no access from that side. (1)
Hollows and building foundations were visible in this area during a walkover survey that was carried out in 1997. (3)
Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Manager's houses, (1972).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Derbyshire XL.8.
Unpublished document: Garton, D, Morris, T, Southgate, M (TPAU). 1997. The results of a walkover survey and aerial photographic searches at Forge and Monument, Codnor, Derbyshire, and recommendations for evaluation. HER Doc. No. 576; site no. 23.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 44067 51624 (point) (Approximate)
IRONVILLE, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2017 3:57PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.