Monument record MDR9676 - Morton Colliery (site of), north of Main Road, Morton
Type and Period (2)
- COLLIERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PITHEAD BATHS (Early 20th Century to Second World War - 1930 AD to 1940 AD)
- None recorded
Morton Colliery, recorded [in 1966] as having a horizontal twin cylinder winding engine, dated 1860, by A. Handysides. The engine had slide valves and a link motion, 80 lbs per sq. inch; 16 ft drum; double twin guide bars and rectangular forked conn rods. (1) In 1865 a deep shaft was sunk to work the Blackshale and Tupton seams of coal. The shaft was to stay open for the next hundred years, closing in 1964. The old colliery buildings are now occupied by modern engineering firms. (3) Morton Colliery. Spoil-heap and former pit head baths of Morton Colliery. The baths are brick with elements of art deco styling (1930s) and are now incorporated into an industrial estate. (4)
- <1> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Morton Colliery, 1966.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheets XXX.15, XXXV.3.
- <3> SDR19694 *Internet Web Site: Morton. www.derbyshireuk.net.
- <4> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. P.36.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 41492 60386 (382m by 500m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MORTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 19 2020 2:38PM