The swing bridge across the main canal at the southern end of the aqueduct, by the junction with the Leawood Arm was rebuilt in 1988. It was modelled on a photograph of the original bridge, which had been built to enable horses to transfer from the northern to southern bank as the towpath changes sides here. When canals were built into hillsides, towpaths were always built on the side away from the hill so that the maximum width of embankment supported the water in the canal. (2)
A flat, narrow timber and steel bridge flush with the towpath set in curved stone recessed/ledged abutments in the canal wall. The bridge is a steel structure and balustrade with a hardwood timber deck. The circular stone base for the pivot mechanism is still visible. The bridge swings aside on the pivot mechanism to allow boats to pass. The present 1970s bridge structure replaced the original, although the abutments are part of the original 1794 canal construction. This new bridge was constructed by the Cromford Canal Society, apparently based on photographs of the original. It is not known if the opening mechanism is still operational. (3)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 11.2, with photo.
Bibliographic reference: Potter, H. 2003. The Cromford Canal. p 27, 118, illust..
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3162 5559 (5m by 6m) (Approximate)
DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.