Skip to main content

Monument record MDR9699 - Park Iron Foundry (site of), New Road, Belper

Type and Period (2)

  • (Victorian - 1858 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Victorian to Mid 20th Century - 1900 AD to 1950 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

Alfred, Frederick and James Smedley (brothers) transferred from the Queen Street ironworks to Park Foundry in New Road in 1858. Park Foundry manufactured goods such as fire-grates, ovens, troughs and a variety of ornamental items throughout the 19th century. At the end of the century the New Road site was closed and a new ironworks opened on Derby Road, retaining the name, Park Foundry. (1) The site is shown as 'Saw Mills' on early and mid 20th century OS maps. (2, 3) The site became a depot in the later 20th century and was demolished in the late 1980s. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Giles, J; Power, G; Smith, M. Naylor, P. editor.. 1999. An Illustrated History of Belper and its Environs. p. 41.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XLV-1.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-1.
  • <4> Verbal communication: Farmer, A. Information derived from site visit, personal research, etc..



Grid reference Centred SK 3485 4736 (66m by 47m) (Approximate)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 9 2017 12:09PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.