Monument record MDR9702 - Gas Works (remains of), Derby Road, Belper
Type and Period (1)
- GAS WORKS (Victorian to Late 20th Century - 1848 AD to 1980 AD)
- World Heritage Site
The Gas Works, Derby Road, adjoining the railway station, were erected in 1848, by a Company with a capital of £3,500, in 350 shares, of £10 each. In 1857 the works contained a gasometer capable of holding 17,000 cubic feet of gas, and 12 retorts, but at that time it was intended to enlarge them, as they were too small for the requirements of the town. Prior to their construction, the town was lit from the works of Messrs. Strutt. (1) Comparison of succeeding County Series OS maps shows how the gasworks extended southwards over time, with the addition of new gasometers, the largest being added some time between 1914 and 1938. (2-5) The most substantial survival of the gas works is a rectangular brick building at the northern end of the site. It may be part of the original 1848 development. It has lost its slate roof but its decorative brickwork in contrasting bricks gives it much character. The gasometers shown on late 19th and early 20th century maps have gone. (6) The gasometers are shown on a late 1960s OS map and the site was redeveloped in the 1980s. (7)
- <1> SDR19516 Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 193.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.1.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.1, 1900.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.1, 1914.
- <5> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLV.1, 1938.
- <6> SDR19438 Unpublished document: Joyce, B. 2004. Notes on the land between Belper & Milford now included within the Belper & Milford Conservation Area.
- <7> SDR20587 Verbal communication: Farmer, A. Information derived from site visit, personal research, etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3470 4652 (94m by 333m)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 11 2020 1:17PM