Monument record MDR9704 - Hosiery Factory (site of), Chapel Street, Belper
Type and Period (1)
- HOSIERY FACTORY (Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1800 AD to 1930 AD)
- World Heritage Site
Site at the junction of Chapel Street and New Road, where they merged to form Derby Road, that is shown on late 19th and early 20th century OS maps as 'Hosiery Manufactory (Silk & Cotton)'. (1, 2, 3) The site is shown on a mid 20th century OS map but there is no text associated with it. The site has clearly expanded to the west, reflecting the contemporary expansion of the Brettle 'Hosiery Manufactory (Silk & Cotton)' that was located immediately to the north. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18867 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3464 4718 (40m by 80m)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 21 2022 5:04PM