The Primitive Methodist Chapel, at Field Head, is a neat stone building, built in 1822, on the site of a smaller chapel erected in 1817. It cost about £1000, and seated about 700 persons. (1)
There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (2)
The Primitive Methodist Chapel at Field Head is a plain stone building that was erected in 1817. It has a gallery round three sides, and is furnished with open pews of pitchpine, with a rostrum of similar wood, and contains several mural monuments. (3)
The "Ranters" (Primitive Methodists) built their first chapel at Field Head in 1817. The church was demolished in 1966 after the Belper Methodists amalgamated. (4)
Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 192.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 627.
Bibliographic reference: Barrass, A.. 1994. Belper. Looking into the Past. p 36.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3522 4784 (18m by 20m)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2017 12:10PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.