'Salem Chapel', a United Methodist Free Chapel, was situated here on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c.1880. (1)
The United Methodist Free Church, or Salem Chapel, is a large rectangular brick building, erected in 1856. The front of this chapel is in two tiers, the upper one containing three semicircular-headed windows, and the lower tier two square ones. A gallery runs around three sides. The interior is furnished with seats of pitchpine, while a rostrum of similar wood stands at the west end. Underneath the chapel are a Sunday schoolroom and class-rooms. (2)
The United Methodist Reform Church (Salem Chapel) was built in Green Lane in 1856. The building was demolished after the Belper Methodists amalgamated in 1966. (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 627.
Bibliographic reference: Barrass, A.. 1994. Belper. Looking into the Past. p 36.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3494 4769 (27m by 26m) (Approximate)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2017 12:10PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.