Listed Building record MDR9717 - Duffield Evangelical Baptist Chapel, Town Street, Duffield
Type and Period (2)
- BAPTIST CHAPEL (Georgian to 21st Century - 1830 AD to 2050 AD)
- HOUSE (Victorian to 21st Century - 1877 AD to 2050 AD)
Duffield Evangelical Baptist Chapel, Town Street, Duffield, built in 1830 with attached building in 1877. 'In 1882 the chapel was refurnished and the school enlarged. There are mural monuments to William Abell and John Taylor. The latter was deacon for 27 years.' (1) 'General Baptist Chapel, Town Street. The congregation originated in 1807 and opened a meeting-house in 1809 in a disused factory. The chapel, east of Duffield Hall, is of red brick with stone dressings to the north and west and of squared stone to the other sides; the hipped roof has been re-covered with concrete tiles. The north doorway has a frieze with tablet dated 1830, and initials IT for James Taylor. The west wall has four tall round-arched windows; the east wall has two small round-arched upper windows, now blocked. A two-storied Sunday-school and vestry range was added to the south in 1877.' (2) From the National Heritage List for England: 'SK 34 SW PARISH OF DUFFIELD TOWN STREET 3/33 (East Side) Duffield Baptist Church and attached house, 13.2.67 walls and railings GV II Chapel and attached house. Chapel dated 1830, house dated 1877. Coursed squared gritstone and red brick, with gritstone dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof with two lateral stacks. Moulded stone eaves cornice. Two storeys, L-plan. North elevation is chapel entrance. Three bays, brick with stone quoins and sill bands. Central doorway with moulded stone surround, date plaque above and cornice hoodmould on heavy moulded consoles. Double doors with raised and fielded panels, flanked on each side by round-arched windows with moulded stone surrounds. Linked to two similar windows above by a recessed panel enclosed at the top by an outer arch with moulded stone surround. Similar window above the door, also with an outer arch. All the windows have C20 glazing. South elevation of chapel has three tall round-arched windows with moulded stone surrounds set within a larger round-arched blind panel. The house forms the L-range behind and has two tiers of plain round-arched windows. Low walls surmounted by iron railings attached to north and west and enclosing the burial ground. Listing NGR: SK3457542859.' (3)
- <1> SDR348 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T. 1895. History, Topography & Directory of Derby. 653.
- <2> SDR13425 Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. 48.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1335329?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 34575 42859 (point)|
|Civil Parish||DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 4 2023 8:16PM