Lady Glenorchy's Chapel, south of Masson Mill, was demolished in the first half of the 1960s. It had been built in 1777 as Cromford Chapel, apparently for Anglican worship, although the adjacent house was provided for the use of Samuel Need, one of Richard Arkwright's partners, who was an Independent. After Need's death in 1781 the house and chapel were bought by Lady Glenorchy who presented a communion plate 'bearing her name and arms' to the newly-formed Independent congregation. The chapel stood north of the house and was of brick with four tall windows at the side facing the road. (1)
Bibliographic reference: RCHME (Royal Commission on the Historic Monuments of England). 1986. An Inventory of Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Central England - Derbyshire extract. p 51.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2934 5720 (point)
MATLOCK BATH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 13 2015 12:35PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.