Skip to main content

Building record MDR9722 - Former United Methodist Chapel, Scarthin, Cromford

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

The present chapel was built in 1912 replacing an older building, but is no longer in use as a place of worship and has been converted to a workshop. Beside the workshop, Chapel Steps ran up to an older meeting place called the Long Room. (1) The Wesleyan Reformers hold their services in a large room at Scarthing Row. (2) A late 19th century OS map shows the older building on the site as 'Methodist Chapel'. (3) An early 20th century OS map shows the present building as 'U.M.Ch.' (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Bayles, F & Ede, J. 1994. The Cromford Guide. p 25.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: White, F & Co.. 1857. History, Gazetteer & Directory of the County of Derby. p 459.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV - 6.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV - 6.



Grid reference Centred SK 2946 5698 (10m by 20m)
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3865

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.