There is a Baptist Chapel situated here on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900 that does not appear on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1882. It appears to have superseded a chapel that appears on the 1st edition, but is in use as a Sunday school by the 2nd edition (see SMR 28713). (1-2)
The Baptist Chapel at Belper is a handsome place of worship in the Gothic style of architecture. It is built of brick and stone, the front portion being of rock-faced stone, with dressings from the celebrated Darley Dale quarries. The front, comprising the eastern gable, is flanked by a tower on either side, between which are two porches, an inner and an outer one, the latter being supported by a colonnade of three Gothic arches. The interior of the chapel is airy and lofty, and consists of nave and apsidal chancel. A gallery runs around three sides of the nave, of pitchpine with Gothic trefoil panels. The chancel is separated from the nave by three Gothic arches resting on moulded columns with carved capitals. Between the columns are the organ and choir screens, in design similar to the front entrance. At the western end of the chapel are the two vestries and the open baptistery, in shape octagonal, constructed of Hopton stone, the interior being lined with tiles. The east end is lighted by a large double three-light tracery-headed window, filled with stained glass. The chapel is furnished with seats of Gothic design, affording accommodation for about 700. The building was erected in 1893-4, under the superintendence of the architect, S R Bakewell, C.E., at a cost of £2,700. (3)
The original Baptist Chapel of 1820 [SMR 28713] was soon too small for Belper's growing congregation. This led to funds being raised to build the present Gothic style church in 1894. (4)
It is still in use as a place of worship . (5-6)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 627.
Bibliographic reference: Barrass, A.. 1994. Belper. Looking into the Past. p 35.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 26/05/2011.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3459 4770 (30m by 18m) (Approximate)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.