Monument record MDR9730 - Nail Shops (site of), High Street, Belper
Type and Period (2)
- NAIL SHOP (Georgian to Victorian - 1788 AD to 1900 AD)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Georgian to Victorian - 1788 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
Site on the corner of High Street and Lander Lane that once included several cottages and nailshops. The earliest known date of nailmakers and occupants on the site is 1788, namely Ann Blood and the Blood family. (1) The area is shown as 'Blood's Bank' on late 19th and early 20th century OS maps. (2, 3, 4)
- <1> SDR19449 Bibliographic reference: Barrass, G. 1998. The Iron Men of Belper. p 7.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XL-13.
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XL-13, 1898.
- <4> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XL-13.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3515 4758 (41m by 38m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2017 12:10PM