Building record MDR9741 - Former Timber Yard, City Rd, Derby

Type and Period (4)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site
  • World Heritage Site Buffer Zone

Full Description

Two adjacent timber yards are named on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1) Much altered buildings - largely two storey brick, painted white - a complex site that began life as Francis Waite's timber yard in the 1840s. From 1895 it was John Jones' furniture works, then a ferro-concrete works and, most recently, Tomlinson's building contractor's offices. (2) A walkover survey of the site was conducted on April 20 2009, with a follow-up visit on April 30 to view building interiors. Two groups of buildings arranged around two yards were briefly recorded and a comprehensive digital photographic record was made. The buildings range in date from the probable late 1840s to the second half of the 20th century. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.9.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby.. p 6.
  • <3> Unpublished document: Brown, J and Elliot, L (TPA). 2009. Proposed development on land off City Road, Derby, Derbyshire. An archaeological desk-based assessment for Prime Construction Services Ltd.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 35361 36988 (79m by 84m) (Approximate)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2711

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.