Monument record MDR9753 - Weir, Darley Abbey, Derby

Type and Period (2)

  • (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Georgian - 1782 AD to 1782 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

By the mid 1770s, Thomas Evans had acquired paper, corn, flint and other mills operating on the west bank of the River Derwent at Darley Abbey [see SMR 18955]. He was reputedly encouraged by Richard Arkwright - one of the customers of his Derby bank - to embark on cotton manufacture and in 1782 he built a stone bridge across the river and constructed a weir to divert water to power the mills. (1) Part of the southern section of the weir is marked as 'Fish Weir' on late 19th and early 20th century OS maps. (2-4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2003. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VII. City of Derby..
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.5.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet L.5, 1900.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). Sheet L.5.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 35326 38504 (41m by 112m)
Civil Parish DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.