A smaller barrow with a diameter of 14 metres and a height of 1.6 metres, located in the immediate vicinity of the two barrows on the summit of Minninglowe Hill (or possibly in the vicinity of the north west barrow SMR 901). It was opened by Bateman 12th July, 1843 during which two skeletons were found in a cist with a cremation burial and an iron knife in a sheath. An extension of the tumulus on the south side covered a skeleton and another cremation together with a "highly ornamented drinking-cup", a brass or copper pin and a flint "spearhead". (1)
The barrow near the railway stonepit at Minninglow, first examined in 1843 (evidently the above) was re-opened on 10th November, 1851. A good sharpening stone and the bones of small quadrupeds were found. (2)
[Beaker] illustrated and described as found with a skeleton in a barrow, close to the railway, near Minninglow. (3)
Listed as a minor Anglican site due to the secondary burials. (4)
A spread and mutilated barrow at SK 19875837 and near to a quarry and the railway is probably that referred to by Authorities 2 and 3. It was surveyed at 1:2500. No other barrow was seen in the immediate vicinity of Minninglow. (5)
Barnatt records this barrow as either 10:1 or 10:40 as there is some uncertainty over the location of the barrow. According to Bateman in 1843, the barrow is in the vicinity of the two barrows situated on top of Minninglow Hill (SMR 901 and 915). However there are no identifiable barrows in this region. When the barrow was re-opened, the barrow was described as being located on Minninglow Farm in a field near the railway embankment arch (SK205574) and railway stonepit (SK205576) and ½ mile from Minninglow to the north-west. However, yet again, there is no extant site near the stone pit and arch. 10:1 is a barrow adjacent to a second railway stone pit (SK199583) and is north-west of Minninglow and therefore may be the location of SMR 917. Unfortunately, there is no embankment and it is one mile from Minninglow. Alternatively, the barrow may have been destroyed or lost and is thus 10:40 [for a possible location of this barrow see SMR 920]. (7)
As the precise location of this barrow is unknown, the point has been plotted on the map in the tumulus recorded as 10:1. (8)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p 41.
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p 83.
Bibliographic reference: Howarth, E. 1899. Catalogue of the Bateman Antiquities. 143. p 143.
Article in serial: Ozanne, A. 1962-3. 'The Peak Dwellers', Medieval Archaeology. Volume 6-7.
Personal Observation: Harper, F. 1966. Personal observations regarding barrows in Eaton and Alsop, Parwich and Ballidon, July 1966.
Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Sites 10:1, 10:40.
Personal Observation: Thornton, A. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1986 5837 (25m by 22m) (Approximate)
BALLIDON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2017 4:59PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.