Monument record MDR9779 - Dunsley Mill (site of), Via Gellia, Cromford
Type and Period (2)
- PAPER MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- BARYTES MILL (Early 20th Century to Mid 20th Century - 1901 AD to 1950 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
The site is shown as 'Dunsley Mill (Paper)', with an associated 'Engine House', on the 1st ed. 25" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1880, as 'Dunsley Mill (Paper)', with an associated 'Mill Pond' and 'Weir' to the north [SMR 9664], on the 2nd edition at the end of the 19th century, and as 'Dunsley Mill (Barytes Crushing)' on the early 20th century edition. Modern mapping suggests that all the original buildings have been demolished and replaced with modern structures. (1, 2, 3) Papermakers' Directories of 1853 and 1866 list George Simonds (Symons) at both Masson Mill and Dunsley, making pasteboards in the latter. (4) Dunsley Mill was a three storeyed water-powered mill of seven bays, constructed in square coursed gritstone and probably dating from circa 1800. Its original function is unknown, but may have been cotton spinning. There was originally a water-wheel in a contemporary wheel-house against the west gable. The entrance was in the east gable, and was flanked by a heated office or counting house on the south side and a stair to the north. The upper floors were carried by heavy transverse beams and slender edge-set joists. The roof trusses consisted of tie-beams, queen-posts, collars and principle rafters from tie-beams to queen-posts. In the early to mid 19th century steam power was provided. The wheel house was extended to create an engine and boiler house associated with a chimney about 50m west of the mill. By 1880 the building was in use as a paper mill. For much of the 20th century Dunsley Mill has operated as a barytes and flurospar-crushing mill. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-6.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-6, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV-6.
- <4> SDR19967 Article in serial: Schmoller, T. 1994. 'Some notes on Derbyshire paper mills, part 1', The Quarterly. Issue no. 9 (January), pp 1-5.
- <5> SDR23179 Unpublished document: Menuge, A (RCHME). 1993. Dunsley Mill, Via Gellia, Bonsall, Derbyshire, historic building report.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2859 5729 (51m by 81m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BONSALL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 23 2017 3:34PM