Monument record MDR9787 - Primitive Methodist Chapel (site of), Chapel Lane, Holloway
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1883 AD to 1883 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel situated here on the 2nd edition OS map. It does not appear on the 1st edition OS map, and appears to have superseded an earlier chapel on an adjacent plot that is used as a Sunday school by the 2nd edition (see SMR 19061). (1-2) The Primitive Methodists have a neat chapel at Holloway, which was built near the site of the old one at a cost of £1,300. (3) There is a Primitive Methodist Chapel at Holloway, which was built in 1883. The old chapel was built in 1852 and is now used as a Sunday school [see SMR 19061]. (4) The Primitive Methodists' chapel at Holloway was a small chapel built in 1852 [see SMR 19061], but was rebuilt in 1883 on adjacent land donated by the Nightingale family; the deeds bear the signature of Florence Nightingale. The chapel was re-named the Zion Chapel in 1932 and is now disused and in private hands [pre-1990]. (5) The building that appears at this site on modern OS mapping has a different footprint to that shown on historic OS mapping . It has either been demolished and replaced with another building, or has been partly demolished. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 358.
- <4> SDR21041 Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 237.
- <5> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(b).4.
- <6> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3265 5638 (27m by 27m)|
|Civil Parish||DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2015 3:06PM