Monument record MDR9791 - Brick Works (site of), Steeple Grange, Wirksworth
Type and Period (3)
- BRICKWORKS (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- BRICK KILN (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
- RAILWAY SIDING (Hanoverian to Victorian - 1831 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
The site is shown on a late 19th century OS map as 'Blackrock Brick & Tile Works' with a 'Brick Field' at the north of the site, a 'Kiln' at the south and a 'Wharf' [SMR 15595] to the west. The site is shown as 'Steeple Grange Brick Works' on an OS map at the end of the 19th century, still with the associated 'Wharf'. On an early 20th century OS map, the site is shown as 'Steeple Grange Brick Works (Disused)'. (1, 2, 3) Steeple Grange Brickworks was located near the junction of Oakerthorpe Road and Steeple House (Wirksworth Road). In 1973 an unusual timber and brick building still stood on the site. It had formerly been used for the manufacture of blue bricks and tile from the adjoining shale pit. The roof tiles on the building were made on the site. A brick kiln was believed to have been removed in the early 1960s. Bricks used to be despatched by railway, the brickworks having a private railway siding. The building was later used as a store and then as a house. It has since been demolished. (4) The small brick yards at Wirksworth relied upon material from near the base of the Namurian, ie below the Ashover Grit. That just beneath Black Rock may well have supplied Masson Mill and the newer mill buildings at Cromford and continued into the 20th century. This appears in a watercolour of 1785. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-10.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XXXIV-10, 1898.
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XXXIV-10.
- <4> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. Un-numbered.
- <5> SDR21446 Unpublished document: Thomas, I (National Stone Centre). 2012. The Lower Derwent Valley: The Exploitation and Use of Historic Building Materials. p 22.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2907 5556 (121m by 148m)|
|Civil Parish||WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 9 2018 4:39PM