Monument record MDR9793 - Merebrook Mine, Meerbrook Farm, Wirksworth
Type and Period (1)
(Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1900 AD)
World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Loading documents & images
This site is named as a Lead Mine on the 1st ed. 1" Ordnance Survey map of c. 1836. (1)
It is shown as 'Merebrook Mine (Lead, Disused)' on the 1st ed. 25" map of c. 1880. (2)
'One of the Furnaces near this Town, for smelting Lead, is converted into a large Coppel, where the Lead is now made, and also a great Quantity of Red-lead: Near this Town are many Lead-mines and Veins of Antimony, and great Quantities of Lime-stone'. (3)
One of the names for the sough that powered Richared Arkwright's first mill in 1771 was the Meerbrook Sough, which suggests that the mine may have been in use before the 1830s. <4>
Map: OS. 1836. OS 1 inch 1st edition, Sheet 71. David & Charles reprint, Sheet 35, Nottingham.. 1 inch.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIV-15.
Bibliographic reference: Martin, B. 1765. The Natural History of Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3116 5523 (87m by 51m)
WIRKSWORTH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.