Monument record MDR98 - Possible Romano-British Settlement, Dowel Dale, Hartington Middle Quarter
Type and Period (2)
- FIELD SYSTEM (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
SK 0726 6780: Dowel Dale, ?Romano-British Settlement. Dowall is first documented in 1415. (2) SK0726670. Dowall Dale. Traces of two possible small rectangular house sites are visible in rectangular fields and might indicate a Romano- British settlement. (1,5,7) SK 074 676. (?) Pasture division banks and small enclosure ("house") (Listed under 'Roman'). Possible large circular enclosure visible at SK 0745 6776 on aerial photogrpahs F.22.82/RAF/1243/0236-7, 14 July 1955. (3). Nothing of interest was seen in an area of pasture. The only features are modern walls rock out crop, natural ground disturbances and old farm tracks. (4). SK 075680. Pastoral clearance sites recorded here are thought to indicate a Romano-British settlement. (5) SK 07456730. Three rectangular earthworks, possibly representing structures, have been recorded in the Dowall area. They are thought by this authority to be of medieval date. (5). SK 072676. Dowel Dale, Hartington Middle Quarter. Field notes by L H Butcher on a house and enclosures are held by Sheffield Museum (acc. No. 1976.998). (6). SK 0726 6780. Possible Romano-British settlement incorporating large rectangular fields and two possible small rectangular house sites. (7). SK 071919 1367. Dowal Dale. Dimensions of site are 220 by 190 metres. It is recorded as enclosed moorland from at least 1650; between 1850 and 1900 it was further subdivided into fields. The visible components are lynchets, single and double orthostatic boundaries, gateways, trackways and rectilinear enclsoures. (8).
- <1> SDR3657 Archive: Butcher, L. Survey notes, pottery sherds etc. in Sheffield City Museum. D104.
- <2> SDR13112 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. 'The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part II', English Place-Name Society. p365.
- <3> SDR3659 Bibliographic reference: Butcher, L (East Midlands Committee of Field Archaeologists). 1962. East Midlands Archaeology Bulletin, 1962. p8. p6.
- <4> SDR6328 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-FEB-66.
- <5> SDR10789 Index: NDAT. 1977. Microfiche reel 3.
- <6> SDR15202 Article in serial: Beswick, P and Merrills, D. 1983. 'L H Butcher's survey of early settlements and fields in the Southern Pennines', Transactions of the Hunter Archaeology Society. Volume 12, pp 16-50.
- <7> SDR14505 Index: NDAT. 1070. 1070.
- <8> SDR19428 Unpublished document: Bevan, B (PDNPA). 2000. Peak District Romano-British Rural Upland Settlement Survey, 1998-1000. 3 vols.. Site 070-072, pp 67-68.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0720 6766 (400m by 302m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 9 2015 10:26AM