Alderwasley Park was enclosed in about 1715 and in 1867 it contained approximately 187 acres and around 130 fallow-deer. (1)
The park is of 196 acres between which the Pendleton Brook flows, feeding fish ponds and finally joining the Derwent, which flows along the east side of the park, separating this parish form Crich. Besides a herd of fallow deer, there is, in the park a small flock of black sheep originally brought from the Faroe Islands by the late John Wolley Esq. in 1855. (2)
SK 3332 5324 - Ancient Yew tree in the park known as 'Betty Kenny Tree'. It is connected with the old iron forge and socially with an itinerant charcoal burner family of the late 18th century. (3)
Alderwasley Hall stands in parkland on the western flank of the Derwent Valley, but the medieval park was known as Shining Cliff Park, now the name given to the woods alongside the river. This earlier park was smaller than the later 18th century one. In 1635 it was described as having 200 acres by estimation. A footpath follows the possible line of the south side of it and a good bank remains on the north-east. William de Ferres had free warren here in 1251, therefore the first park may have been created by him. Certainly the park was established by 1296 when it was documented as one of Edmund earl of Lancaster's parks within Duffield Frith. Ancient yews and sweet chestnuts survive in the park, one yew being amongst the largest in the county. (4)
Alderwasley parkland is a unique place of outstanding historic and landscape value. It is most particularly important because: it is a designed historic landscape of interest in a national and regional context; it provides the setting for a number of nationally important listed buildings including Alderwasley Hall and its associated structures; it contains habitats of biodiversity interest and wildlife value; and it retains a valuable archaeological record that helps us better understand its past uses and the development of the landscape. A parkland management plan was produced for Alderwasley Park in 2015. The management plan brings together readily available information on the character, condition, history and significance of the parkland and adds to that knowledge with new surveys covering the tree population, veteran trees, archaeology and further historic research so that policies for the future mamangement of the landscape can be set out. A number of archaeological earthwork features are noted on the map in Figure 4 in the report (p. 12). These largely represent field boundaries, drainage ditches, boundary banks, quarrying activity, hollow ways and tracks, and features relating to post-medieval park landscape. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Shirley, E. 1867. English Deer and Deer Parks. p. 172.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T. 1895. History, Topography & Directory of Derby. p. 608.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 20.1, with photo.
Bibliographic reference: Wiltshire, M & Woore, S. 2009. Medieval Parks of Derbyshire. pp. 150-151.
Unpublished document: Percifull, E & Thomas, S (Historic Landscape Management Ltd). 2015. Alderwasley Park, Derbyshire: Parkland Management Plan.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3297 5279 (1336m by 1649m) (Approximate)
ALDERWASLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 5 2020 2:07PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.