Building record MDR9812 - St Anne's Church, Ambergate
Type and Period (1)
- CHURCH (Victorian - 1891 AD to 1892 AD)
- World Heritage Site
"St. Anne's church was erected in 1891-2 for £2,000, chiefly payed for by J. Thewlis Johnson of Oak Hurst. It is a structure of dressed stone in the Early English style, comprising apsidal chancel, north and south transepts, nave and north porch. The west gable has a small bell turret. The chancel arch is pointed and high. The five windows of the chancel are single lights, those on the north and south sides of the nave are two-light ones, and the west window is a large one of three lights, given by the Sunday school children. All the stone was from the Ridgeway quarry, and the structure was built by Mr. J. Glossop. Under the church is a well-lit schoolroom". (1) St Anne's Church is a large cruciform plan parish church of 1891-2 with canted apsidal end to Derby Road. It is in early English style with lancet windows and hood moulds with carved label stops. It is constructed from coursed sandstone with tiled floors. There are original gatepiers and railings to Holly Lane and Derby Road. There is a bell-cote to the west gable. (2)
- <1> SDR348 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T. 1895. History, Topography & Directory of Derby. p. 663.
- <2> SDR20056 Unpublished document: Morris, M (Mel Morris Conservation). 2004. Study to Identify Candidate Buildings for Grant Assistance and a Review of Conservation Area Boundaries, Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage Site.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3479 5143 (23m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||RIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM