St Peter's Church, Church Lane, Belper, built in 1824.
'St Peter's church was built in 1822, for £11,921.00. According to Bulmer (1895) it is "a handsome stone edifice in the Gothic style of the 14th century, built on an elevation above the town, and comprises nave, chancel, and western tower. Its dimensions are 101 feet by 56 feet, and 30 feet high, and its accommodation 1,600. The stone of which the building is constructed was from Hunger Hill quarry. The tower is 100 feet high and 20 feet square at the base, with stone buttresses at the angles, finished at the top with octagonal pinnacles. The bells (six) were hung in 1861. The nave is embattled, and pinnacles adorn the four corners. The chancel is a deep recess, abutting at the east end. The east window is of five lights, tracery headed and filled with stained glass. A gallery runs round three sides. At the west end of the church are three entrances, one in the centre of the tower, and one either side, and six perpendicular Gothic windows grace each side wall".' (1)
The church contains an organ considered to have outstanding musical and historical qualities pertinent to the World Heritage Site. It was built by William Holt of Bradford and was installed in the west gallery in 1853. It had a third keyboard added in 1873. A splendid early Victorian instrument in an impressive Gothic case, it was restored twice in the 20th century and is the oldest surviving large church organ in Derbyshire. (2)
From the National Heritage List for England:
'SK 3547 3/2
CHURCH LANE (North Side) Parish Church of St Peter
Church of England. 1824. Architect Mathew Habershon. (Designs exhibited at Royal Academy of 1824). Restored 1884. Of local grit stone from Hunger Hill Quarry. West tower , nave sanctuary and galleries. Commissioners plan now modified by use of part of nave as a chancel. Decorated style. The tall slender west tower has crenellated parapet with quatrefoil band below and angle buttresses rising to polygonal corner turrets. Ground floor forms porch entrance. Facade has five tall two stage windows with buttresses between each pair. Crenellated parapet.
Interior. West, north and south galleries supported on cast iron columns. Gothick arch over sanctuary which contains wall tablets to members of Strutt family.
Monument to George Brettle 1835 by Sir Richard Westmacott.
The church is on the hillside and the tower forms a prominent landmark.
Listing NGR: SK3508147674.'