Monument record MDR9845 - Forge Mill (site of), Makeney Road, Milford

Type and Period (3)

  • (Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1820 AD to 1920 AD)
  • (Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1820 AD to 1920 AD)
  • (Georgian to Early 20th Century - 1820 AD to 1920 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

The site is shown but not named on a late 19th century OS map. It is shown as 'Forge Mills (Flour') on an early 20th century OS map and as 'Forge Mills (disused)' on subsequent early and mid 20th century OS maps. (1, 2, 3, 4) When Hopping Mill was demolished in about 1820 a new corn mill was built downstream on the River Derwent on the site of the Makeney Forges, just below the horseshoe weirs. The new mill was known as 'Forge Mill' but, by 1895, had passed into the hands of the Fletcher Brothers and become known as 'Fletcher's Mill'. They were still listed as millers there in 1912 but in 1925 they had moved to nearby Idridgehay. The site is presently [in 1999] occupied by a garden centre but vestiges of the old uses can be found. (5) The Strutts started purchasing land in Milford in March 1781 and immediately began to construct the first structure in what was to become a complex of cotton mills and bleach works. At this point along its course the river had long been put to use to provide the power for industrial processes and Strutt's first acquisitions were two of these sites, the New Mills and the Makeney Forges and the Hopping Hill Meadow, which included a fulling mill. The industrial sites which were for so long the economic hub of the community have been reduced by the clearance of c. 1960 to a handful of later buildings and a range of archaeological features. To the south of the former cotton mill site, the Strutt's flour mill built on the Makeney forge site to replace the Duke's corn mill which they had demolished, remains. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-5.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-5, 1898.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile). XLV-5.
  • <4> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1937-38. OS County Series, Third Revision, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). XLV-5.
  • <5> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B43,p 89.
  • <6> Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 70-1.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3502 4493 (65m by 67m) (Approximate)
Civil Parish BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.