Monument record MDR9856 - Second Canal Arm, Cromford Canal Wharf, Cromford

Type and Period (1)

  • (Georgian to Victorian - 1824 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

The second arm of Cromford Canal servicing Cromford Canal Wharf was constructed c. 1824 to provide increased capacity at the wharf in conjunction with the development of a second warehouse by the canal carriers, Wheatcrofts. The second arm extends from the winding hole to the termination of the feeder arm from Cromford Mill. Boats were brought up this second arm and unloaded onto the wharf or directly into the second warehouse underneath the canopy. Boats were pulled back to the winding hole for turning. Repairs are proposed to the wharf edge which is in poor condition. There are stop planks at the mouth with a stone edging wall and coping to the wharf side which appears to be cut into the rock on the south-west side. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Survey ref: 11.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 2999 5699 (119m by 59m)
Civil Parish CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1807

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.