Monument record MDR9858 - Winding Hole, Cromford Canal Wharf, Cromford

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • World Heritage Site

Full Description

A turning space for boats formed by a widening of the Cromford Canal at the entrance to the two arms of Cromford Canal Wharf. Assumed to have been built at the same time as the canal itself in 1794. This turning area is edged on the towpath side with stone and appears to be cut into the rock on the south-west side. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Survey ref: 13.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 3006 5696 (35m by 31m) (Approximate)
Civil Parish CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site Derwent Valley Mills

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1807

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 21 2018 9:27AM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.