By the 1880s, the original railway bridge across the River Derwent was life-expired, and the railway took the opportunity to rebuild the bridge and also realign the track between here and the far side of Leawood Pump, bringing the railway much closer to the canal and, in the process, causing the demolition of the Junction Inn. (1)
About 50m from the junction with the Cromford Canal, the Matlock to Derby railway emerges from the tunnel under Lea Wood and crosses the River Derwent. Built originally by the Manchester, Buxton, Matlock & Midland Junction Railway in 1849, the bridge was strengthened and rebuilt in 1878, 1887 and finally in 1933 as a result of heavier traffic. It is a single span, 7m deep steel truss structure on stone abutments. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Potter, H. 2003. The Cromford Canal. p 106-7, illust..
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3165 5572 (32m by 29m)
DETHICK, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.