Building record MDR9870 - Lea Bridge Cottages, Lea Bridge
Type and Period (1)
- WORKERS COTTAGE (Georgian to Victorian - 1783 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building (II) 1248376: 1, 2 and 3 Lea Road
- World Heritage Site
Nos. 1, 2 and 3 Lea Road are Grade II listed buildings. A late 18th century former house with an attached cottage that is now 3 cottages. A three storey, four bay building constructed from coursed dressed rubble with ashlar dressings and a stone slate roof with 2 gable and 2 ridge brick stacks. Possibly built as the manager or foreman's house to Lea Mills. (1) 0 Three cottages built to an L-shaped plan were erected in December 1783 at a cost of £110 as part of Peter Nightingale's cotton mill development. They are strikingly similar to the three-storey cottages built at the same date on the upper slope of Cromford Hill, with mullioned windows on each floor. This row is roofed in Derbyshire stone slate, as the Cromford houses may once have been. A fourth dwelling has been added at a later date with single large windows in each of its two storeys, which spoils the symmetry of the elevation. These cottages have been unoccupied for many years. (2) A terrace of four three-storey cottages constructed from coursed rubble gritstone with two-light mullioned windows and Derbyshire stone slate roofs. The three cottages were built by the industrialist Peter Nightingale in 1783 to house his employees as part of his cotton mill development. A fourth dwelling was added at a later date with single large windows in each of its two storeys. This terrace is set in the valley below the mill complex on the banks of Lea Brook. The houses look up towards a terrace of slightly later Nightingale cottages and would have had a view of the original termination wharf of the Leawood Arm of the Cromford Canal. The terrace is built next to the mill where the tenants were employed. The houses are now derelict, having been unoccupied for many years. (3) At least one of the buildings appears to have been used as a farmhouse in the late 19th century, as suggested by Ordnance Survey maps which have 'Leabridge Farm' written immediately to the left of the block. (4)
- <1> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. 3/3156/151.
- <2> SDR18621 Unpublished document: Derwent Valley Mills (DVM) Nomination Steering Panel. 2000. Derwent Valley Mills World Heritage List Nomination Document. p 59, illust..
- <3> SDR19441 Index: Mansel Architects. 2004. Cromford Canal Survey. Survey ref: 58.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3177 5632 (11m by 19m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||CROMFORD, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM